Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Final Project Proposal

When I look at photographs, one of the things that makes a photograph interesting and memorable is eyes. The eyes of a person show emotion, personality and life. They create a connection between the viewer and the subject and the emotions of the subject are projected onto the viewer.
A photograph can capture a passing glance and preserve it forever. When someone glances at the camera, they have not had time to think about how they look or pose for the camera. Sometimes the eye contact of the subject and the photographer behind the camera sets off a kind of instinctive reaction to take a picture. In a photograph, this glance becomes the door to this person's life. What seems like a blank passing glance becomes a meaningful portrayal of the person in the picture. We are given a chance to look back into their eyes and find clues to their thoughts or feelings as they are frozen in the expression of their face and the look in their eyes.

In my project, I want to capture the moment when someone glances at the camera, eyes full of the thoughts and feelings of that moment. I will try to capture this in one or two photographs and I want to print very large, life size or bigger.

1 comment:

  1. After thinking about it some more, I decided to change my approach to the final project. I realized it will be difficult to photograph people without them being too aware of the camera and how they look. Once a camera enters the room, people change the way they act. My new approach is similar to Nan Goldin's, who photographs her life and friends. I will be going to a party this weekend, where I will take pictures of friends. Hopefully, people will become less aware of the camera, the longer it is present. I expect to get a mix of pictures - silly posed shots, snapshots of the party and some portraits. I may even turn the camera on myself because I will be interacting with the people.

    ReplyDelete