Sunday, November 28, 2010

Final Project Ideas

Lately, my dominant interest in photography is with taking landscape photography, where I seek to find new and hidden characteristics in nature by shooting close up images to try and reveal the minute details of my subject, and to uncover almost another worldly dimension. As a result, my images tend to be less about capturing nature but more about depicting my discoveries.

For my Final Project, I have been contemplating various ideas and I know the only way for me to narrow them down and focus on one ideas is to start shooting..

1st idea: Black & White is also Color
I rarely take black and white photographs so I want to use light (natural & artificial) to be my color source.


2nd idea: Joining Heaven & Earth
Here in SMCM, I have witnessed some spectacular sunsets, and I am always fascinated by each one of them. Now I want to capture these sunsets and expose the cascade of purples, oranges, reds, blues etc. The print sizes of the photographs will be big 24 x 33 or 44 in. I guess the image will make the decision.


3rd idea:
An artist I looked at, at some point in the beginning of the semester was Stephen Lawson and his image The Year of the Drought.



I want to recreate this image but whereas the photographs were a collection of images taken over a year, mine would be taken over 24 hours..


4th idea: Skinned Landscape
I will first take photographs of the landscape and then project the images on a person’s body part such as their hands, face, arms, leg, stomach etc. I am thinking of shooting in black and white so the forms/shapes of the projected image can have a more surrealist effect on the body part.

2 comments:

  1. So out of all my 4 ideas, i decided to do a completely new and different project for my final. My photographs are of trees barks that reveals the trees character and gesture.

    In my American Art class, I recently did a project looking at artist’s gesture/mark making in their artwork. I see the idea of gesture as an essential character of a figure or object showing the personality, essence, identity, and movement. Working with that concept, I wanted to capture and uncover the gestural marks on the tree barks around campus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since taking these photographs, i have been doing some research, and i came across this quote that is an inspiration to continue working/developing this concept of looking at Gestures in Trees.

    “Get one form that looks like the tree rather than little pickings at the branches. Give the tree its gesture. Some trees are heavy, ample and full. In a tree there is a spirit of life, a spirit of growth and a spirit of holding its head up.”
    Robert Henri, The Art Spirit, 257.

    ReplyDelete