Wednesday, November 3, 2010

BARTHES

For me the clearest way to relate to the Barthes reading was to think about my own personal Winter Garden Photograph. I was about four years old when the picture was taken, holding my teddy bear next to the side of a lake in the common in South Hampton, England, where my grandparents live. I can remember every single detail of this photograph even though the only copy is on the wall of my grandparent's house which I see at most once a year.
To me this photograph has come to represent my childhood. This photo, let's call it the Lakeside Photo, helps me form my memories. It helps me place myself in situations my parents tell me I've experienced. This Lakeside Photo is central to my concept of how I've developed over time. I think the fact that the photo isn't on the wall at my house, or even at my grandma's on my mother's side is very important. Each time I visit England I view the picture anew, re-evaluating my progress compared to the little boy in the picture. Some small part of me will always remain that boy in the yellow jelly sandals standing by the water.
However in keeping with Barthes' understanding of the Winter Garden Photograph, it would be useless for me to reproduce the photograph. In fact, it's actually physically impossible for me to post it on this blog as the only copy is a print 2000 miles away in a dirty corridor in #6 Kineton Rd. Instead to demonstrate my understanding of Punctum, I will post pictures from five shows I've been to. A concert is an intensely personal experience, a one way conversation between you and a band, and as such each photo has an intensely personal meaning. However, the Studium is bound to interest at least some readers of this post as musical taste is a very concrete way to place someone in a cultural context.

Double Dagger/Whartscape

Thee Oh Sees/The Black Cat

My Bloody Valentine/The National

Dan Deacon/Hirshorn

Health/Velvet Lounge

No comments:

Post a Comment