Monday, September 13, 2010

Duane Michals: This is my Proof.



When reviewing various artists for an image that compelled me, I began looking through several different text and image photographers. After several tries, including Jim Goldberg and Shirin Nashat, I came back to an image that I had seen for the first time last year: "This Is My Proof" by Duane Michals. I chose this image because of the work on which I am currently focusing. The images ability to speak of a time that once was, through both text and image, reveals an emotion of the artist that is connective to many different stories. Its soft, sad story, paired with its intimate and loving image, create sympathy, or connection, to the artist over a topic that all can relate to personal experiences: love and loss. As I am currently focusing the attention of my SMP on these two important elements, I find it difficult to over look the similar qualities of Michals' image.

No comments:

Post a Comment