Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sally Mann Documentary

I found the documentary about Sally Mann to be very inspiring. Before watching the film, I had only really known of her work with her children. But obviously, there is a lot more to her than just those early images.
I really like her philosophy on what she decides to photograph - the things that are close to her, and how she tries to make art out of 'the everyday and the ordinary'. I find that I myself like to work with people who I am very familiar with as well - whether I am just taking pictures of my friends when we are hanging out, or I am taking photos for an art project, I always like to work with people that I know very well because there is a sense of comfort that I feel enables me to explore different things and concepts with them that maybe someone who I didn't know at all wouldn't be as willing to do.
It was also quite intriguing to watch the progression of her photographs from her children to landscapes, and then her fixation on death.
Although most people would not think of dead and decaying bodies as ideal subjects to photograph, or even to place themselves around for that matter, I really admire her ability to see what most associate as disgusting, as beautiful. I have always been a firm believer that one can find beauty in everything, and everyone, and Sally Mann definitely exhibits that belief as well.
I found myself extremely attracted to the facial close ups of her children that were a part of her death series. Even though the close ups didn't even capture the entirety of her children's faces, the emotions and expressions in each face really touched me. Coming from someone who first fell in love with art through drawing portraits of women, I find that I am very connected to faces, especially female faces, and the close ups of her daughters really drew me in. They had such characters, such strength, yet at the same time, the closeness to them gave them a delicacy as well.
I like how she said for a lot of her work she was waiting for the 'angel of uncertainty.' Not that she couldn't have produced an amazing piece of art without help from random mistakes happening, but the fact that she allows and accepts random and not always intended things to happen gives her process an organicness to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment