Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sally Mann Documentary

This has got to be the fourth time I have seen the Sally Mann documentary and I still find it fascinating. I think that she brings up an interesting point about how we view death. She said something like we are afraid of it and therefore we don't want to see it. I disagree with her slightly in that regard. I feel like most people whether they are of the Western World or not are afraid of death but I think it is that fear that fascinates us with death. Its the decomposition that kind of creeps us out a bit. I thought the scenes that showed her working were very visually informative. It was interesting to see how she used the collodion process to make her some of her prints. The fact that she didn't really care how perfectly they were coated is certainly something I can relate too. I also enjoyed watching her technique. Seeing that she didn't always use an exact timer to make her negatives was intriguing. I couldn't really relate to her idea of having young faces of I think her children? thrown in with a whole bunch of random decaying bodies. That part escaped me. All of the images the that were shown during the documentary were outstanding and inspiring. I think the documentary did a great a job at revealing her personality, as well as her life, work and family. Her father's sculpture was hilarious and that guy running the gallery was an ass for accepting then rejecting her project.

No comments:

Post a Comment