Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Barthes Reflection

After reading the chapter in Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography, I wrote a poem in respond to the photograph, as well as try to use the “voice” of Barthes.
The poem is about looking through a family album and reminiscing about each photograph I find/come across, as Barthes had stated, “I was rediscovering, overwhelmed by the truth of the image” (58). Looking back at my family history, places visited, events held, and just seeing the faces that I was once in contact with on a daily base but are now only visible to me when I look at the photographs. These all evoke a sense of grief but “time eliminates the emotion of loss (I do not weep)” (57) because my beliefs assure me that those that have passed on from this life, are still among us someway, somehow.


Family Album - Inspired by Roland Barthes

Photography allows me a sure feeling to recollect.
I flipped through the pages of time, the story relived,
Of grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins, my reality.
Then I hold a memory that cannot be recreated,
But it has been so long that the intensity of sorrow has been reduced.
(I do not weep)
Because faith has you reawaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment